Amaranth with Spinach Tomato Mushroom Sauce
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan
Uses an interesting and alternative “grain” and filled with great antioxidants.
- 1 cup amaranth seed
- 2-12 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch spinach (or young amaranth leaves if available)
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and coarsely chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon onion, minced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste (or use a salt substitute)
- Bring Water to Boil
- Add amaranth to boiling water, bring back to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes.
- Tomato Mushroom Sauce
- Stem and wash spinach.
- Dip tomatoes into boiling water to loosen skin, then peel and chop.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and add garlic and onion.
- Sauté approximately 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, mushrooms, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and 1 Tablespoon of water.
- Cook an addition 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach to tomato mixture in the last few minutes of cooking.
- Stir the sauce into the amaranth or spoon on top – add Parmesan cheese for additional flavor.