Cumin Garlic Rubbed Turkey with Bourbon Gravy
Author: Meals Matter, Family Circle
Recipe type: Entrees
This is a warm and spicy variation on a roast turkey theme.
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 turkey (16 to 18 pounds)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon liquid hot-pepper sauce
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix 1 tablespoon cumin, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Rub outside of turkey with oil.
- Season inside of turkey with half the cumin mixture and the crushed garlic.
- Rub rest of cumin mixture over outside of turkey.
- Place turkey, breast side up, in large roasting pan.
- Roast in 450 degree oven 30 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees. Roast about 2 hours, or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh without touching bone registers 170 degrees.
- Remove from pan. Let sit 20 minutes.
- Pour off pan juices into 1-quart measure.
- Skim off fat, reserving 1½ tablespoons fat.
- Add broth to juices to equal 3 cups. Stir in the bourbon.
- Spoon reserved fat back into roasting pan. Stir in flour, ½ teaspoon cumin; cook, stirring, over medium heat 1 minute.
- Stir in broth mixture. Bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring, 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Strain into bowl; add pepper sauce.
- Serve with turkey.
Calories: 267 Fat: 14g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 5g Sodium: 306mg Protein: 31g