Author: Meals Matter
Recipe type: Desserts
Once you get the hang of cutting up the pineapple this recipe is a snap to prepare. Low Sodium; Low Calories; Low Fat.
- For the marinade:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 firm yet ripe pineapple
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler (grill).
- To make the marinade, in a large bowl, combine the olive oil, cloves, cinnamon, honey and lime juice and whisk to blend. Set aside.
- Cut off the crown of leaves and the base of the pineapple.
- Stand the pineapple upright and, using a large, sharp knife, pare off the skin, cutting downward just below the surface in long, vertical strips.
- Cut off any remaining small brown “eyes” on the fruit.
- Stand the peeled pineapple upright and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Place each pineapple half cut-side down and cut it lengthwise into four long wedges
- Slice away the core.
- Place the pineapple in the bowl with the marinade and stir to coat the pineapple.
- Place on the grill and cook about 3 to 4 minutes, basting once or twice with the remaining marinade.
- Turn the fruit and move it to a cooler part of the grill or reduce the heat.
- Baste again with the marinade. Grill until the pineapple is tender and golden, about 3 more minutes.
- Remove the pineapple from the grill and place on a platter or individual serving plates.
- Brush with the rum, if using, and sprinkle with the lime zest. Serve hot or warm.
Calories: 79 Fat: 2g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 15g Sodium: 1mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 1g