Grilled Vegetable and Orzo Salad
Author: Meals Matter; Tomato Products Wellness Council
Recipe type: Salads
Orzo resembles rice, but is really a rice shaped pasta. A tangy vinaigrette adds plenty of flavor, without the fat. Make ahead.
- 1 (1-lb ) box orzo pasta
- 1 each zucchini and yellow squash, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 red onion, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, well drained
- ½ cup chopped, smoked sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup mixed pitted olives, plus ¼ cup olive brine from jar (or to taste)
- ½ cup lightly packed snipped basil
- Tomato Lemon Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and let cool.
- Cook squash and onions on an oiled grill over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or until nicely charred and softened.
- Let cool then coarsely chop.
- Stir together pasta, grilled vegetables, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and olive brine; set aside.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add to salad and toss well to coat.
- May be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days at this point.
- Stir in fresh basil just before serving.
Cooking time includes cooking Orzo.
Calories: 220 Fat: 7g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 33g Sodium: 430mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 6g