Lemony Leeks and Potatoes
Author: Vegetables From Amaranth to Zucchini
Recipe type: Side Dish
A homey dish that’s perfect with chicken or lamb
- 1½ pounds leeks (3 medium)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ pounds potatoes (Yukon Gold)
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 cup hot water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup dried bread crumbs
- Pinch of saffron (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Trim roots and dark tops from leeks and clean
- Cut leeks into 1 inch slices
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in heavy skillet
- Add leeks and ½ teaspoon of salt
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring often until leeks are soft (about 5 minutes)
- Cut potatoes into ½ inch slices
- Spread half of the leeks into 2 quart baking dish.
- Combine potatoes, remaining salt, pepper, ½ teaspoon each of mint and dill and ½ tablespoon oil. Spread half of mixture over leeks.
- Cover with remaining leeks and top with remainder of potato mixture.
- Combine water or broth, lemon juice, and saffron and pour over.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake until tender (about 1¼ hours)
- Meanwhile mix bread crumbs, remaining mint and dill and oil.Mix well.
- Uncover dish and sprinkle crumbs on top.
- Increase heat to 425 and bake until crisp and brown (about 15 minutes)
Serving size: 4-6