Savory Walnut Mini Scones
Author: Meals Matter www.walnuts.org
Recipe type: Breads
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- ⅔ cup Finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 teaspoons Baking powder
- ½ cup Butter
- ¾ cup Low fat (1%) milk, divided
- 24 California walnut halves (optional)
- n large bowl combine flour, walnuts and baking powder.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 2 tablespoons milk and set aside; add remaining milk to flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly a few times until smooth. Roll or pat out dough to ¾ inch thickness; cut into 1-1/2 inch rounds using lightly floured cutter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush tops with reserved milk;
- if desired, top each with a walnut half, pressing slightly into dough.
- Bake in 425ºF oven 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
These tiny scones are perfect for an appetizer platter. Fill with carpaccio, prosciutto, shaved roast beef or smoked salmon. Top with horseradish & sour cream mixture, mustard or chutney and garnish with fresh herbs.
Calories: 107 Fat: 7.3g Saturated fat: 2.8g Unsaturated fat: 2.7g Carbohydrates: 9g Sodium: 84mg Fiber: 1g Protein: 2g