Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Caramelized Onion Burritos
Author: Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission spokesperson, Holly Clegg
Recipe type: Entrees
The addition of black beans makes this dish a good choice for vegetarians because it’s high in protein and the caramelized onion with the sweet potatoes takes on a superb flavor. You can make the dish even healthier by substituting whole wheat flour tortillas. Vegetarian; Vegan.
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups fresh sweet potatoes baked and cut into chunks or 2 (15 oz.)
- cans sweet potatoes, drained and cut into chunks
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 8 – 6 inch flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium high heat.
- Add onion and sugar; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes or until onion is caramelized or deep golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in sweet potatoes, cumin and black beans, mixing gently.
- Spoon mixture evenly down center of each tortilla.
- Roll up tortillas jelly roll style and place rolls seam side down in an oblong casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drizzle olive oil over burritos.
- Cover and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until well heated and crispy on outside.
Calories: 193.5 Fat: 5.23g Carbohydrates: 31g Sodium: 352.7mg Protein: 6.4g Cholesterol: 0mg