Contrary to popular belief, we need fat! What we don’t need is too much of it, either in our diet or on our bodies. An excess amount in the diet can contribute to obesity and can increase the risk of developing heart disease and certain kinds of cancer.
Why do we need it?
- Provides flavor to food
- Gives us a sense of fullness in our stomachs
- Helps carry certain vitamins around in the bloodstream.
- Provides insulation to keep us warm
- Protects our internal organs like the heart, lungs and reproductive organs
- Is a source of stored energy