Walnut Asiago & Black Pepper Biscotti
Author: Meals Matter, cawalnut www.walnuts.org
Recipe type: Breads
These savory, cracker-like biscotti are wonderful with a glass of wine! Low Sodium.
- 1½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups Chopped California Walnuts, divided
- 2 teaspoons Granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Minced fresh rosemary (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ cup (2 oz.) shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg white
- 1 teaspoon Coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350øF. Combine flour, ¾ cup walnuts and next 5 ingredients (sugar through baking soda) in food processor. Whirl until walnuts are finely ground.
- Add eggs, egg white and cheese; pulse until dough is evenly moistened. Knead or stir in remaining ½ cup walnuts.
- Turn dough out onto greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Pat dough into 12x3x3/4-inch loaf. Sprinkle top with coarse salt. Bake 25 minutes until light golden brown. Cool 15 minutes or until firm enough to slice. Reduce oven to 300øF.
- With a sharp knife, cut loaf into ¼-inch thick slices. Place in single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 300øF 20-25 minutes until light golden brown and crisp to the touch. Biscotti will continue to crisp as they cool.
Calories: 57 Fat: 3.5g Saturated fat: 0.6g Unsaturated fat: 2g Carbohydrates: 5g Sodium: 116mg Fiber: 0.5g Protein: 2g