With a nearly 25 year history it’s easy to lose track of our accomplishments along the way but here are a few highlights from the organizations history.
- Founded September 1990
- Applied for 501(C)3 status
- Published Mr. Diabetes® Home Fitness Manual: December 1990
- Approved for 501(C)3 status November 1991
- Incorporated November 1991
- Developed Comprehensive Diabetes Risk Assessment Test
In 1996 DDF Executive Director Andy Mandell – Mr. Diabetes® loses control of his diabetes and becomes totally debilitated from his disease. He leaves Florida and returns home to Boston where he prepares himself to die.
Jerald continues the work of the organization even more convinced of the need for accurate and reliable information on Type 2 diabetes.
- Mr. Diabetes® begins physical rehabilitation from his extended illness and begins planning for the Wake Up and Walk® Tour, a 10,000 mile walk of the perimeter of the United States.
- Registered Nationally: 1998-99
- Website established
- Mr. Diabetes® begins trial 450 mile walk to raise diabetes awareness
School Screening Test Program Begins
- Wake Up and Walk® Tour recommences from Pensacola Florida.
- October 2002 completes the first leg of the journey arriving at the Pacific Ocean in La Jolla California
Wake Up and Walk® Tour achieves second leg of THE WALK™ reaching Seattle Washington and turns right towards the east coast.
- New National HQ
- Wake Up and Walk® Tour reaches Great Lakes Region
- Mr. Diabetes® receives Congressional Proclamation sponsored by (now retired) Representative Dale E. Kildee
- Diabetes Awareness Now (DAN) Project – a PSA program launches
- Website design and re-launch
- Mr. Diabetes® adds New York City ING marathon to walk
- Wake up and Walk® Tour completed in December. Final mileage 10,031.4 miles. On his journey he met one-on-one with over 76,000 individuals and reached 186 million with media outreach.
- DDF completes comprehensive diabetes curriculum for schools and organizations.
- Launches peer support program in St.Petersburg and Clearwater Florida
- Mr. Diabetes is invited to act as a representative of the US Department of State and conducts video conference to diabetes professional in Eritrea Africa. He also travels to Kuwait as part of an educational mission.
- Mr. Diabetes honored with Tampa Bay Lightning Foundation Hero Award and is awarded $50,000 for his favorite non-profit organization (Defeat Diabetes Foundation of course!)
- DDF launches the KIDD school speaking program a pilot program to bring diabetes awareness presentations directly to schools.
- Launches Defeat Diabetes® Rules for Survival Ebook Series