Chicken Salad Nests
Author: America's Best Cookbook for Kids with Diabetes by Colleen Bartley
Recipe type: Lunch
A fun chicken salad chock full of fruit and veggies; Kids love it!
- 2½ cups dice chicken breasts, (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup halved red or green seedless grapes
- ½ cup drained pineapple tidbits
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups crisp chow mein noodles
- ½ cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or parsley
- In a medium bowl, mix chicken, grapes, pineapple and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise and salt.
- Pour over chicken mixture and toss lightly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine noodles and carrots. Divide evenly among 4 serving plates.
- Mound chicken mixture in the middle of each "nest" and sprinkle with chives.
- Variation: Substitute 2 cans (each 6 oz.) drained, water-packed chunky light or white tuna for the chicken.
Calories: 245 Fat: 9g Saturated fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 22g Sodium: 443mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 21g Cholesterol: 53mg