Grilled Eggplant Tomato Sandwiches
Author: Produce for Better Health Foundation (PBH)
Recipe type: Lunch
Smoky grilled eggplant and fresh tomatoes provide a tasty summer time meal.
- 1 medium Italian eggplant cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoon finely minced fresh basil
- 8 (½ inch) slices, crusty bread
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- fresh ground black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled Feta cheese (optional)
- Do not peel eggplant. Remove end and cut into ½-inch slices.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse slices to remove all salt and drain on absorbent paper.
- Combine olive oil and garlic and lightly brush each slice.
- Grill over Medium high heat on gas grill or broil under broiler. When soft, remove immediately and sprinkle with basil.
- Meanwhile, slice tomatoes into ¼ -inch thick slices and season with black pepper.
- Arrange tomatoes and eggplant on 4 slices of bread.
- Season with pepper and add crumbled Feta cheese, if desired. Top with second slice of bread and serve immediately.
*Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
Serving size: 2 cups Calories: 272 Fat: 7.9g Carbohydrates: 44g Sodium: 361mg Fiber: 8g Protein: 8g