Morning Glory Muffins
Author: Cook Once, Eat For A Week by Jyl Steinback, America's Healthiest Mom
Recipe type: Breads
These make ahead muffins are packed with whole grains and fruit. low fat; low cholesterol; Kids love it!
- 1 cup vanilla or coconut non-fat yogurt
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon applesauce
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper muffin cups.
- Combine yogurt, sugars, egg substitute, applesauce, vanilla extract and pineapple in medium bowl; mix until sugars are dissolved and mixture is blended.
- In separate bowl, combine flours, baking powder and cinnamon; mix well.
- Gradually add flour mixture to yogurt mixture, blending just until ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in carrots, raisins and walnuts.
- Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full; bake 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool 5 to 10 minutes before removing from muffin pan.
- Cool to room temperature before eating or freezing.
- To freeze wrap muffins separately in freezer wrap and place muffins in freezer bag. To reheat: Microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
Calories: 171 Fat: 1.8g Carbohydrates: 36g Sodium: 106mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 4g Cholesterol: 1mg